Strategic Priority 2 - Renewal of Community Infrastructure (Roads, Footpaths, Community and Sports Facilities)

over 1 year ago
CLOSED: This discussion has concluded.

Renewal of Community Infrastructure (roads, footpaths, community and sports facilities):

Increase investment in roads, footpaths, cycle ways and drainage and high priority sports and community facilities:

  • Maximise road grant opportunities for road improvements, rehabilitation and black spot funding

  • Invest in road rehabilitation works to achieve a target of 80 per cent in good condition, with the remaining 20 per cent in a satisfactory condition to prevent roads slipping into poor condition and associated cost escalation

  • Program to construct all laneways to a minimum standard

  • Invest in footpath renewals targeting all slab footpaths (including Stirling Highway) to be replaced with concrete, brick paving or asphalt paths

  • Construct paths where there are gaps as part of a School Sports Facility Path Network

  • Improve bicycle paths

  • Invest in drainage upgrades focussing on minimising flooding, maximising stormwater infiltration at source and minimising pollutant discharge to the Swan River

  • Deliver an All Abilities Play Space facility at Beaton Park

  • Invest in parks infrastructure to replace aged irrigation in accordance with enviro-scape master plans

  • Invest in rebuilding the river wall to protect and retain the foreshore, including enhancements to pocket beaches and increased river wall protection

  • Program to replace and replenish play equipment, barbecues, seating and drinking fountains and other parks infrastructure

  • Increase and upgrade off-street parking

  • Replace city-wide bus shelters

  • Plan for rebuilds and refurbishment of high priority sporting and community facilities

  • Upgrade the condition of all City buildings to a required modern standard

  • Pursue funding (including grants and donations) for community and sporting facilities from non-Council sources

  • Taking a “whole-of-life cycle” approach to the management of assets

  • Develop cost effective management strategies, taking into account growth, risks, sustainable use of physical resources and continuous improvement in asset management practices

  • Provide a defined level of service and monitoring performance


Do you have any thoughts on this priority?  Please place your thoughts here.


Consultation has concluded

  • Admin Commented Pollyanne Fisher over 1 year ago
    At the Community Drop-in Sessions on 2 and 4 September 2017, we asked participants to tell us which priorities were most important to them and what they thought was missing:In an activity designed to capture which priorities people felt were most important, participants were given four stickers to indicate their highest priorities. The stickers could be spread across different priorities to highlight up to four, or multiple stickers placed against any priority.“Renewal of community infrastructure such as roads, footpaths, community and sports facilities” was ranked as the third highest priority overall by 16% of participants. The top two elements of this priority participants highlighted as being most important are to:• Program to replace and replenish play equipment, barbecues, seating and drinking fountains and other parks infrastructure• Invest in footpath renewals targeting all slab footpaths (including Stirling Highway) to be replaced with concrete, brick paving or asphalt paths. Participants also highlighted it was a priority to invest in roads, construct new paths where there are gaps as part of path networks around schools, improve cycle paths, increase and upgrade off-street parking, replace bus shelters and focus on the efficient long-term management and maintenance of assets.
  • Holly Wood almost 2 years ago
    Strongly support this as a high priority, parks, footpaths and laneways are not at same standard as surrounding councils and require upgrades. Please consider as a priority to improve accessibility between Nedlands North and South, a pedestrian overpass (or 2) over the Stirling Hwy, with 1 potentially placed near the council admin and library. Currently crossing the highway is dangerous and difficult