Draft Local Planning Scheme No. 3

Do you own or live in a property within the City of Nedlands? Or maybe you're a private citizen or a member of a company or organisation. If so, you’re invited to comment on the City's draft Local Planning Scheme No. 3 (LPS 3), which is replacing the existing Town Planning Scheme No. 2, that has been in place since 1985 and is more than 30 years old.

LPS 3 will affect most properties within the City of Nedlands

To see how it will impact you, view the map by clicking on the map tool below:

Follow progress on this project by reading the newsfeeds below.

Do you own or live in a property within the City of Nedlands? Or maybe you're a private citizen or a member of a company or organisation. If so, you’re invited to comment on the City's draft Local Planning Scheme No. 3 (LPS 3), which is replacing the existing Town Planning Scheme No. 2, that has been in place since 1985 and is more than 30 years old.

LPS 3 will affect most properties within the City of Nedlands

To see how it will impact you, view the map by clicking on the map tool below:

Follow progress on this project by reading the newsfeeds below.

Do you have a question of the City in relation to the draft Local Planning Scheme No. 3?  If so, you can ask us here and we will respond. You can also contact members of the Strategic Planning Team on 9273 3500, or email council@nedlands.wa.gov.au, or attend an Open Day.

Ask Us a Question

Ajax loader transparent
Didn't receive confirmation?
Seems like you are already registered, please provide the password or use a different email ID
  • Hi can you please tell me when tps is likely to be gazzetted thanks regards mal

    Emel asked about 2 months ago

    The Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) and Department of Planning are now working on draft Local Planning Scheme No.3 (LPS3). In accordance with the Planning Regulations, they have 120 days from 21 August 2018 (which works out to be the 19 December 2018) to present a recommendation on draft LPS3 to the Minister for Planning. 

    The Minister will make a decision to either support, support with modifications or not support draft LPS3. The Minister can also direct the City of Nedlands to re-advertise modifications to the draft LPS3 and this may prolong the process. Further, there is no time limit on which the Ministers decision needs to be made so a final gazettal date is unknown.

  • Hi could you please tell me when it is likely for tps3 to be gazetted regards Emel

    Emel asked about 2 months ago

    The Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) and Department of Planning are now working on draft Local Planning Scheme No.3 (LPS3). In accordance with the Planning Regulations, they have 120 days from 21 August 2018 (which works out to be the 19 December 2018) to present a recommendation on draft LPS3 to the Minister for Planning.

    The Minister will make a decision to either support, support with modifications or not support draft LPS3. The Minister can also direct the City of Nedlands to re-advertise modifications to the draft LPS3 and this may prolong the process. Further, there is no time limit on which the Ministers decision needs to be made so a final gazettal date is unknown.

  • I live on the Corner of Robinson and Bedford St. What plans do the council have for making that part of Bedford St beautiful ? Would the council not consider Planting tall, bird friendly, tress that shade the street and give it a more "Avenue" feel. Why does the council not support splitting those corner blocks into 2 so we can have streets with house fronts, rather than ugly designed sides of homes and boring fences ? Thanks

    Anna marie asked 2 months ago

    The loss of landscaping and tree canopy as a result of infill re-development has been widely acknowledged and was raised as an issue through submissions received on draft LPS3. This was discussed in workshops held with Councillors to determine the best course of action. The result of those workshops was to not take any definitive steps to protect trees in draft LPS3. Should this position change, incentives for tree retention within private property would need to be addressed through the City’s Planning Framework (Scheme provisions and/or Local Planning Policy).

    The City has an established Street Tree Policy which will still be in effect in relation to trees in the verge and has just finished consultation on its Urban Forest Strategy which seeks to increase potential urban canopy by 10% by 2028.

    This location was identified as an area to be rezoned, in accordance with the advertised version of draft LPS3, so potential change and re-orientation of lots to Bedford St would be possible under that scenario. However, draft LPS3 is now with the WAPC / Department of Planning for assessment and their recommendation to the Minister (who makes the final decision) on what should be progressed in LPS3 is unknown.

  • I have just submitted my thoughts on the Draft Planning Scheme. However it was a long submission and the verification I received suggests that the formatting of the submission - which is crucial to readability - has been lost. I am concerned that this will reduce the impact of and consideration of my submission. Can I send or email a formatted version to anyone? Many thanks.

    Ally_t asked 7 months ago

    Absolutely. We look forward to receiving your email submission via council@nedlands.wa.gov.au

  • I live on Hillway. I am concerned this new submission will further impact on the roadside parking.

    YK and L Wong asked 7 months ago

    Thank you for your question. In the draft Scheme, Hillway is proposed to be rezoned to a higher residential density code (R40 – R60). This is likely to result in changes to the streetscape and might have an impact on both the supply and demand for street parking. The Residential Design Codes sets the parking requirements for new residential developments and the draft Local Planning Scheme 3 sets out minimum car parking requirements for new, non-residential developments (Schedule F). These standards generally relate to parking on the development site, the draft Scheme doesn’t address parking on public roads or the enforcement of restrictions.

    We would encourage you to make a submission on the draft Scheme so we can discuss your concerns in our report back to Council.  

  • I am the owner of two separate properties that will be affected by the scheme number 3 proposal. The survey does not allow me to submit two submissions one for each property which are in different streets with different issues relating to the proposal. How can I make my point clear for the other property and have my voice heard on this issue for this property which is 16 Viewway in NEDLANDS? Please advise Thank you Michael Falconer.

    Michael Falconer asked 7 months ago

    This project page is set up to allow only one submission per registered user. If you have already entered a submission, but would like to make further comments, please send your comments in an email to council@nedlands.wa.gov.au. Please make sure you include your name and address, and you can state that your comments relate to a specific property (if applicable).  

  • Hi there, After reading the recent discussions on LPS3, I become more puzzled about why corner block subdivision idea was killed off straightaway. More voices I heard is that people don’t mind R20 subdivision, as it still give us plenty space to enjoy, at the mean time to contribute our part to sustainable living and infill burden. Corner block has natural 2 street accesses,. when subdivided, it makes no impact to the street looking except making better; evenly disperse infill and create less traffic bottle neck....I was wondering why the obvious merits and benefits were not seen? Or did I miss any fatal issue with the corner block subdivision? Let’s not talk about financial benefit associated here, but focus on factors and best approaches to maintaining a better life style while completing the infill needs.

    joe asked 7 months ago

    Thank you for your question. The City’s Local Planning Strategy is the document that sets out the long term strategic direction for land use and development and was used as a guiding document when drafting the Local Planning Scheme No. 3. The Strategy has a strong theme of limiting increased residential density to targeted areas. This resulted in the draft Local Planning Scheme No. 3 not considering higher densities on corner lots as a general rule. Should we receive submissions raising the topic of subdividing corner lots, there will be the opportunity to consider this issue and report back to Council with some discussion around the planning merits of the idea.

  • Hi there. Firstly, well done on this latest push to bring the scheme positively forward. I look forward to the time I can actually afford to live between city and sea...near the river...adjacent to public transport and amenities. What a crazy idea that would be. Anyway, my question is; all going well, what is the predicted time between March 29 and the probable Gazetted date? Lastly, whoever is reading and responding to all these queries has the patience of an angel and deserves a raise. Thank you for your time!

    Adam asked 7 months ago

    Thank you for your kind words. Estimating a timeframe for gazettal is difficult given the many variables in play, and the number of steps in preparing a local planning scheme. After the consultation period closes the next steps are for Council to consider the submissions and propose modifications based on the submissions. Then the Western Australian Planning Commission also considers and makes recommendations in respect to the scheme and submits this to the Minister. There may be a requirement to further modify the scheme at this point, which must be completed and resubmitted to the WAPC before gazettal.

    Should the scheme progress through the preparation process as expected, gazettal could occur about 18 months – 2 years after the close of advertising. Please be aware this is a ‘best guess’ at this point in time and is partly based on; our experience drafting the Local Planning Strategy, the number of submissions we’ve received so far and some recent examples of other local governments’ experiences drafting a new scheme. This page will be updated as we continue this project so you can stay informed of our progress.

  • I am concern that the area would dramatically increase the density within the area. What's the plan for better infrastructure, schools, public transport and other amenities? Area there any provisions in place to handle the increase? Have there been any investigations or studies done? I have also noticed that my property will increase to R40. My property and my neighbour's property is adjoining. They have a land size of 500m2. In principal, the land can be developed to multi residential. However, given that our properties join together, do they have the right to develop without my consent or vice versa? I am not in support of the current proposed scheme as it has such a big affect to the surrounding areas and impact on the current residents, without supporting studies on its impact. Moreover, I love where I am because of the character of the suburbs, which would be a shame if the areas changed to become another packed suburb.

    Resident on Taylor asked 8 months ago

    Thank you for your question. The proposed LPS3 does allow for substantial density increases in some parts of the City. The draft LPS3 itself does not address the provision of infrastructure like utilities, schools and public transport. The City’s Local Planning Strategy provides some information and discussion on these topics. You can download a copy of the City’s Local Planning Strategy from the City's website.

    In an infill scenario (where increased density is proposed in existing suburbs), generally these types of things are improved as developments are proposed or as the population density increases. The City also takes into consideration the comments received from the various agencies and service providers during this consultation period, and may propose modifications to the draft Scheme in response. Once a new scheme is in place, it is possible for a local government to raise funds for infrastructure and amenities through the collection of contributions from people carrying out substantial developments. A Scheme supports and allows the enforcement of a plan of this nature but substantial background work and public consultation would need to be completed first.  

    In regard to the ability to for you or your neighbours to redevelop, this depends on the type of title and what you might be proposing to develop. You might find it beneficial to phone the City on 9273 3500 and discuss this further. In any case, please ensure you make a submission before the community consultation period closes so we can capture your comments and concerns.

  • Does it mean that if the Council does not accept the advertised Planning Scheme No.3 the City will revert back to the 1985 Town Planning Scheme 2? Can the City add more restrictions tan what is in the State's R-Codes (as gazetted in 2015)? Rajah

    Rajah S asked 8 months ago

    Since the original gazettal of Town Planning Scheme No. 2 over 30 years ago, planning legislation and practices have undergone significant reform. A new Scheme is required for the City to ensure it is up-to-date with current legislative requirements. For now, Town Planning Scheme No. 2 is in force and will remain in force until a new scheme is gazetted. If Council does not support the advertised draft LPS3 (after considering all submissions), another option is to propose modifications to the advertised scheme. 

    In terms of adding provisions additional to the R-Codes, it is generally possible for this to occur. Depending on what the additional requirements are, changes can be made in the scheme document itself, or in a Local Planning Policy (a supplementary document). It is a good idea for your submission to include any thoughts you might have for requirements that are additional to the R-Codes (if any). 

  • The documentation on R codes in the links supplied opaque to us, we could not find one place that had a useful table of R codes broken down and fully defined, and the answers below in some cases state parts of the R codes have not been defined. We care about the detail and how it affects the character of our suburb, but we can't entertain support for this that has not been clearly explained.

    voter asked 8 months ago

    Thank you for your question. The R-Codes document unfortunately might not provide the information you require in a simple format, as it is primarily an assessment tool for building designers and planning officers. It also allows for different built forms depending on the design and layout of the buildings proposed. In some circumstances the R-Codes require other planning tools (such as Local Planning Policies or Local Development Plans) to provide further development guidance.

    If you haven’t already, you might find it useful to review Planning WA website, Table 1 (page 59) and Table 4 (page 61) of the R-Codes.  (https://www.planning.wa.gov.au/dop_pub_pdf/State_Planning_Policy_3.1-residential_Design_Codes_.pdf). 

    These tables set out the general requirements for residential developments. For further information you may find it beneficial to speak to a Planning Officer by phoning 9273 3500, dropping in to the Administration Building or attending one of our scheduled Open Days. 

  • Hi, I live on Williams Rd, and my zoning is proposed to change to R40. Does this mean that on our 460sqm blocks, people will be able to knock the beautiful old character homes down and build 2 or more units\apartments? Is it possible that we could have 3 level units overlooking our backyard? Will the council put in any rules on what can be knocked down, like Subiaco has? Lastly, what about traffic and parking? Currently, we have no onsite parking as we have no driveway, which is common on our street. We already have problems with people parking on our paved verge, especially on weekends when the Rangers are not around. How does Council plan on dealing with this, as it's going to get much worse if this proposal goes through. Regards, Chris

    ChrisHarrap asked 8 months ago

    Thank yo for your question.  At an R-Code of R40, it would be possible to redevelop a 460m2 lot into two single houses (or townhouse/villa style houses). These lots would need to meet an average lot size of 220m2 or greater.  Alternatively, it would be possible to build apartments. If an apartment-style development occurred, the maximum plot ratio (0.6) would limit the size of the building as follows [lot size] x [plot ratio] =  maximum internal floor space. In either scenario, the R-Codes limit the height of the development to 9 metres (to the top of the roof). Any new building would also be required to provide car parking on site.

    Currently, the City of Nedlands has very few places (around 20) that are subject to heritage protection – these places form the City’s Heritage List. The draft LPS3 does not generally provide any restrictions on demolition for properties that are not on the City’s Heritage List.

  • I would like to know if it is mandatory that we have to accept a new planning scheme from either the City of Nedlands or WAPC ? Why do changes have to be made, I think there should be a Plebiscite for local rate payers and residents , this could easily be done online or by mail for the people who do not have access to the internet.Lets find out what everyone wants ! I look forward to your response. Richard Leake

    Richard Leake asked 8 months ago

    Thank you for your question. The Planning and Development Act 2005 requires local governments to review their schemes every five years. The City’s current scheme (Town Planning Scheme No. 2) has been in force since 1985. Since the original gazettal of TPS2, planning legislation and practices have undergone significant reform. By creating a new Scheme the City is ensuring it is up-to-date with current legislative requirements.

    The current community consultation period is the step in the process that allows residents and ratepayers to have their say on the zones, densities and development standards that the planning scheme allows. The City encourages everyone to make a submission by 29 March so we can understand their views.

  • I am residing in a property with a over 55's covenant/restriction which was sold to/ owned by my son when he was only 20 years old. This makes it illegal for him to live in his own house! This archaic, restrictive covenant is meaningless when the Nedlands Council could not effectively enforce it. Understand some similar properties owners are also urging for this restriction to be removed. Does the Local Planning Scheme No. 3 address this issue?

    Eng Lee asked 8 months ago

    Thank you for your question. If the property in question is rezoned to a higher density code in Local Planning Scheme No. 3, it will automatically be possible to remove the notification on the title by completing a form and processing it through the City of Nedlands and Landgate.

    If the property in question is not rezoned, the draft Local Planning Scheme No. 3 as advertised would make it possible for the notification on the title to be removed, but this would need to be supported by the City of Nedlands. This would be considered through the development application process. It is the intention of Council, to put in place a Policy that will outline the circumstances where the removal of the over 55’s restriction will be supported. 

    If you would like to discuss this response further, please call one of our Strategic Planners on 9273 3500, or alternatively call into our next Community Information Session to be held on Saturday, 24 February at the Administration Building between 9 am and 1 pm.

  • Are you planning to invoke 3 HR parking limits in Barcoo Avenue ( between Taylor Rd and Doonan Rd) ? It would seem that we are the closest 'all day' parking to the Stirling Highway and as a result we are being inundated with cars parking all day long, on, or close to our verge and sometimes overlapping our driveway. The refuse disposal trucks will have a problem because Barcoo Ave is quite a narrow street. My property is at 8 Barcoo Ave and our life is being seriously impacted all of a sudden.

    Valerie Hulbert asked 8 months ago

    Thank you for your question. The draft Local Planning Scheme 3 does not address parking limits on public roads nor the enforcement of those limits. That is dealt with by our Technical (engineering) Services and Rangers teams respectively.

    We spoke with our Engineering colleagues about the parking limits issue and this is what they had to say:

    There are no current plans to introduce 3 hour parking restrictions on Barcoo Avenue between Taylor Road and Doonan Road. However, the City will investigate the level of parking demand to determine if parking restrictions are warranted. Parking on your verge without your permission or across driveways is not permitted. It is suggested that when this occurs you contact the City Rangers to assist, on 9273 3500.

  • Where can I find a description of what the R codes actually mean? Specifically R 160: what size/height buildings would it allow? I've browsed through the draft plan and elsewhere in the website but just don't seem to be able to find clarification of R 160 or any other code. Thanks Javier

    Javier Sanchez asked 8 months ago

    Thank you for your question. The document that sets the standards for residential development in Western Australia is the R-Codes. You can view a copy of the R-Codes by visiting this site https://www.planning.wa.gov.au/Residential-design-codes.aspx . The R-Codes set out a basic maximum height of 18 metres (to the top of the roof) for the R160 code.

    Alternatively, the R-Codes do allow height to instead be controlled by more specific provisions in a Local Planning Scheme, Local Development Plan or Local Planning Policy. At this stage though, the City has not developed height controls of this type that would relate to the R160 areas.

    Another general standard for the R160 code is the maximum plot ratio of 2.0. The total floor space of a building is based on ‘plot ratio area’. Very generally, plot ratio area is the useable space in an apartment development (i.e. living room/bedroom/kitchen areas) and excludes non-useable spaces and common areas (i.e. lobbies and storerooms). The maximum plot ratio area for a lot equals the lot area multiplied by the maximum plot ratio.  

    Please keep in mind that the development potential of any one lot is complex - it’s not just dependent on the height and plot ratio area but also the ability to meet a number of other criteria, including but not limited to, open space, setbacks, visual surveillance, visual privacy, overshadowing, car parking etc. All of these criteria may significantly influence the final building that is constructed.

    If you would like to discuss these further, please call the City or attend one of our Open Days.

  • At the Captain Stirling Hotel, in LPS 3,what does R-ACO mean; and what does the blue N mean? I tried looking it up in the hard copy at the library and also online, but it is not listed. Also, rezoning 2 Florence Rd from residential to commercial seems unusual to this pissant. Thank you

    Laurie asked 8 months ago

    Thank you for your question. Lots that are shaded in the cream colour with a blue outline are zoned ‘Centre’. The N on the scheme maps stands for ‘Neighbourhood’. So that indicates that the precise zone is ‘Centre – Neighbourhood’. There are other lots in the City of Nedlands (for example the corner of Dalkeith Road and Princess Road) that are coloured similarly, but instead have an L. This indicates ‘Centre – Local’, the other type of centre zoning within the City of Nedlands.

    The R-AC0 indicates the R-Code of the area and works together with the zoning. The ‘AC’ stands for Activity Centre and there are four different R-AC codes set out in the Residential Design Codes document, R-AC0, R-AC1, R-AC2 & R-AC3. The R-AC code provides the development controls for the residential parts of a mixed use building or activity centre. In the Residential Design Codes, there aren’t any specific development controls that apply to the R-AC0 code – a Local Development Plan is required to be drafted and must contain the development controls like plot ratio, set backs and building height.

    You may disagree with the exact boundaries of the different zones and R-Codes, in this or any other location, within the City. When drafting the maps, consideration was given to things like shared boundaries, streetscapes and the current use of the land. If you feel like we got it wrong, please address this in your submission and provide some supporting arguments so we can consider your views.

  • I received the Draft Planning Scheme #3 in the mail today. I log on and find (first news) there is to be an open day at the Mount Claremont Community Centre to discuss this. 7/2/2018. Yesterday !! Ooops. My response: Why in a country with a land area of 7.692 million km² we are not de-centralising? So why are we forward planning to do the reverse to the max, just like inner-London during the great plague? There must be a reason. Yes? Perhaps, by hanging on to our convict mentality, keeping everyone living closer together, enduring substantially greater air and noise-pollution, this move will postpone carbon emission critical dates by a month? Please give me a better reason?

    ELStrickland asked 9 months ago

    Thank you for your question. If you’d still be interested in coming to an Open Day, the next event will be Thursday 15 February, 4 – 7 pm at Dalkeith Hall. Alternatively, the dates of the other Open Days are published on the right hand side of this project page.

    In response to your last question, there’s a variety of reasons why the state planning framework promotes some infill development. For example, it is often cheaper to develop and maintain infrastructure and public services in higher density areas (as opposed to the urban fringe), also it is beneficial to provide a variety of housing types in the inner suburbs, enabling residents to locate close to employment hubs and reduce commute distances. If you’d like to discuss this topic further, please feel free to phone the City on 9273 3500.

    If you disagree with the draft Local Planning Scheme No. 3 and would prefer to see no change to the current resident density, please feel free to lodge a submission to that effect. It is important for us to hear the diverse range of views held by the community.

  • Why are these open day talking to strategic planning people, plus community websites considered equivalent to having a town meeting where every resident gets to hear first hand what other residents think? Modern means of sharing community information (moderated discussion pages) seem to be ways that administrators can accumulate support for their (money-making?) ideas, and disallow cross-communication, while being taken to do the reverse?

    ELStrickland asked 9 months ago

    There are many methods and techniques for community engagement, all of which have pros and cons. For this project, Open Days were included to enable people to speak directly to a Planning Officer about their situation. As a Local Planning Scheme will affect different land owners in different ways we thought the opportunity to ask specific questions would be beneficial. Your suggestion of a town hall meeting is noted and something for us to consider when planning future community engagement exercises.

  • Are the R codes in Floreat changing? Will they be the same as the R codes in the neighbouring Cambridge council?

    asked 10 months ago

    There is no proposed change to the R-Codes that apply in Floreat. The majority of Floreat has an R12.5 code and the newer cul-de-sac streets along the southern edge of the suburb have an R20 code, both are proposed to be retained.

    North of Alderbury Street on the Cambridge side of Floreat, their current Planning Scheme shows R12.5 and R15 codes which are consistent or similar to the adjoining R12.5 on the Nedlands side. However, we understand the Town of Cambridge is in the process of reviewing its Local Planning Strategy & Scheme, and as result of that review, they may decide to change those codes.

  • I am planning to build a house on Waratah Dalkeith which is now proposed for R40. What are the practical implications for me? i.e, design, approval, building, demolition, rates adjustment and other relevant aspects. Thank you.

    wema7300 asked 10 months ago

    If you are considering building a house now, you will be subject to the standards applicable to the R10 density code under the current Town Planning Scheme 2. The draft Local Planning Scheme 3 is currently being advertised for consultation only, it cannot be used to guide the assessment of development applications.

    Should your lot be rezoned to R40 when Local Planning Scheme 3 is finalised and enforceable, you will have various options available to you. For example, you may wish to demolish the current house and redevelop the lot, creating grouped dwellings (townhouses/villas) or multiple dwellings (apartments) that can be subdivided and sold off to new owners. Or you may wish to retain a single house on the lot and make no changes to your house or lot. In any circumstance, there will be many different factors that will influence the development of buildings on a lot.

    You might find it useful to phone the City’s Strategic Planning team on 9273 3500 or attend an Open Day in the new year to further discuss the implications for your specific lot.

  • Hello. My parents live at 36 Dalkeith Road Nedlands. I see that the plan is to rezone this to R60. Two questions: 1. Where can I see and understand what R60 means 2. Will this mean that the archaic seniors title that is currently applied to the land be lifted? Thank you.

    jane12 asked 11 months ago

    The Residential Design Codes (R-Codes) is the main document that will guide what can be built on the land. You can view the R-Codes by following this link. At an R-Code of R60, either grouped dwellings (villas or duplex style houses) or multiple dwellings (apartments) are allowed to be built. The size of the land and the design of the buildings will determine exactly how many homes you could fit on each existing lot.  

    Should your parents’ lot be rezoned to a higher density code (R20 or greater), it will be possible to remove the senior persons restriction from the title.

  • You need a Red Rooster store in Nedlands

    Definitely not someone from Red Rooster asked 11 months ago

    If you’re interested in finding out more about where different types of businesses might locate themselves, have a look at the Zoning Table in the Scheme Text. This table sets out all the different types of land uses (defined at the rear of the text) and the zones in which these land uses are allowed to be established.

  • Hi. It's proposed that my Archdeacon Street, Nedlands house will be rezoned R60. It is on a 809sqm block. Am I right in thinking that up to FIVE dwellings could be built my block and on those surrounding my home? I appreciate that a massive amount of information has been provided, but I'm struggling to understand the impact in practice.

    cabeahan asked 11 months ago

    Your calculation is correct as a basic starting point. Blocks zoned R60 are required to deliver an average subdivided lot size of 150m2. However, it is likely that other design elements (such as car parking and access) will also influence the final buildings on the block – particularly if you choose to build apartments (multiple dwellings).

    It is understandable that you might need some assistance navigating the information provided. Please feel free to phone the City of Nedlands on 9273 3500 and ask to speak with a Strategic Planner. Alternatively, you can drop in to an Open Day in February and March next year, and speak to us in person. 

  • what does R10 mean?

    Roger Davis asked 11 months ago

    The label ‘R10’ is the R-Code of an area. The R-Code lets you know the potential number of houses allowed for each block and also gives certain development standards, like setbacks and open space requirements. Very generally, an R-Code of R10 means you can have one house per 1000m2 block of land. 

  • I live at 21 Thomas Street and on the interactive map you have chopped my block in two and gone right through my house. I don't understand this map at all. The proposal to re zone Edward street is problematic as it is already far too busy(used as a cut through from Dalkeith to Bruce/Broadway). Have you had a look at the houses along Thomas street? Why would you want to destroy the big gardens? I can understand the density along Stirling Hwy but I cannot understand the proposed change in the section between Stirling Hwy and Edward especially in the section between Webster and Archdeacon. Does this mean people could sell and place two houses on my block?

    Leonie asked 11 months ago

    The interactive map draws the block boundaries from information provided by Landgate, it does look like there might be an error of some sort in your location. We can look into this after advertising, as it is not common to have two different R-Codes over one single block.

    In regards to the proposed density increase, in order to have much higher density development on Stirling Highway it will be important to have an area of medium density to transition to the existing low density areas. Under the draft Scheme being advertised this does mean that in the area between Stirling Highway and Edward Street, blocks with single houses could be subdivided and replaced with smaller dwellings or apartments. For example at R40, you would be able to subdivide a traditional quarter acre (~1000m2)  into approximately 4 new grouped dwellings.  

    It is important to note that the advertised version of the scheme is a draft and is subject to modifications following the outcome of advertising. Therefore it is really important for you to provide a submission if you support or do not support this proposal so that it can be reported to Council and the WAPC and may result in changes to this area.

  • Hello, I am enquiring about Mayfair Street. Am I correct in making the evaluation that the zoning changes are changing to R10/20 to R20, meaning every house on the golf course side is subdivisible under the proposed TPS 3? what are the setback criteria for and R20 subdivided block? 9m primary, 6m rear and 1.5m side? or is it different for subdivided land?

    Amber asked 11 months ago

    Thank you for your question. There is an area of Mt Claremont (including Mayfair Street) that is proposed to have the split coding of R10/R20 removed and rezoned to R20.

    Very generally, at a density code of R20 you would need to have a lot of at least 900m² for it to be possible to subdivide. The subdivided lots need to meet an average size of 450m2.

    Under proposed draft LPS 3 the 9.0m front setback only applies to lots coded R10, R12.5 and R15. The setbacks for R20 are therefore the same as the R-Codes which is 6.0m average front setback, and side and rear setbacks determined on the length, height, and design of the wall (Tables 2a and 2b of the R-Codes). These setbacks apply to all land coded R20, whether they have subdivided or not. 

  • Why has the Town Planning Scheme not been updated since 1985?

    John Saleeba asked 11 months ago

    A review of TPS2 was undertaken in 1995. The Minister advised in 1997 that the review should result in the preparation of a new Planning Scheme 3. Since that time, various iterations of Planning Schemes have been drafted but haven’t progressed. The draft Local Planning Scheme No. 3 being advertised now is the most advanced we’ve come towards a new Local Planning Scheme.

  • I couldnt see on the map whether 3 Gloucester St Swanbourne was going to be affected

    lawrie asked 11 months ago

    This property is outside the City of Nedlands Local Government boundary and is within the Town of Claremont. 

    This property would be unaffected by LPS3. 

    If you have received a letter regarding LPS3 consultation, this may be because the Gloucester Street address is the mailing address for another property you own within the City of Nedlands. 

  • Is it true Nedlands Council has not prepared a Town Planning Scheme in 32 years and is this in breach of its legislative requirements? If so this is very long overdue, thank you for attending to it as substantive change was long overdue to provide a choice of accomodation to Nedlands' contemporary and diverse demographic.

    SSD asked 11 months ago

    The planning legislation requires a Local Government to review its Scheme every 5 years. 

    The review must consider whether the local planning scheme is up-to-date. The last review occurred in 1995 and Town Planning Scheme No 2 was updated, rather than replaced with a new scheme. 

    The City has prepared various draft Planning Schemes since the late 1990’s that have not progressed to being adopted and in force.

  • Hollywood Village is listed as SU2, ie special use 2 and includes for varies uses including aged care and residential. What is the allowable % of aged care and allowable residential? What are the obligations for development of this land?

    McKenzies asked 11 months ago

    There are no conditions under SU2 that require any development standards to be applied to this site. The City would prefer that a Structure Plan or Local Development Plan be prepared for this site to determine precisely these matters.

  • What does R-ACO mean for 115 Stirling Hwy?

    SGM asked 11 months ago

    115 Stirling Highway is zoned ‘Neighbourhood Centre’ with an R-Code of RAC-0.

    The R-Codes (State Planning Policy 3.1 - Residential Design Codes) do not set out development standards for the RAC-0 coding. Instead, RAC-0 allows the local government to determine the development standards through its Local Planning Scheme and Policies.

    For this property the controls in draft LPS 3 include -

    For properties with an area less than 2,000m²:

    • Minimum wall height of 11.0m
    • Maximum wall height of 14.5m
    • Maximum building height of 17.5m (this is about 4-5 storeys)

    For properties with an area of 2,000m² or more:

    • Minimum wall height of 11.0m
    • Maximum wall height of 21.5m
    • Maximum building height of 24.5m (this is about 6-7 storeys)
    • Plus bonus building height of 38.5m if in accordance with policy (this is about 10 storeys)

    In addition to these height controls in draft LPS 3, the City is developing detailed policy provisions that will guide development within the RAC-0 coded areas.

    The general objective of the Neighbourhood Centre zone is to encourage a mix of commercial development and allow for residential living above, so policy provisions will reflect that objective.